How to prevent the gingival recession?
The gingival recession is the symptom that the gingival tissues around your teeth become weaken. The result is the gingival tissues recede to the root of teeth and reveal more tooth body. Some patients’ tissues recede upon the root which allow the tooth body to contact more bacteria. It also allows the limestone stain to accumulate which may cause any dental problems in the future. The gingival recession cannot be cured and fix back to normal condition. We can only prevent for not having more recession. If you neglect the recession, it will damage your tooth bone. It can make your teeth weaken and be finally detached.
The motives of gingival recession.
- The wrong tooth brushing method: to choose the toothbrush which has too hard brush or to brush your teeth too strong may destroy the gum tissues and recede to the gingival recession.
- Bad oral cavity hygiene: to brush your teeth uncleanly, not using any dental floss or mouthwash may cause the limestone accumulation between gum and teeth. If you do not cure it, the gingival recession will occur finally.
- To have the injured gum: by accident, gum and mouth piercing for beauty purposes, to play any sport may cause injuries at your mouth which may kill the gum tissues and recede to the tooth root.
- The periodontitis: the diseases occurred by the inflammation of your gum which make the organs around the teeth such as bone around the tooth root destroyed and minimized. The incident may follow by the gingival recession.
- Genetic motive: some genetic code transferred in the family line may cause any risk to have any gingival diseases.
- Hormone alternation: the pregnancy and the menstrual period may cause the unusual hormone level. This incident effects directly to the gum health in weaken way which is easy to have an inflammation and the tissues lost.
- Smoking: the toxic substances in cigarettes are the major ingredients to cause plaque stain which is difficult to clean. If you leave the plaque remaining for a long time, the limestone stain will occur and cause risk to have the gingival recession.
- Wrong behavior: the improper behaviors become your habit such as biting or chewing your teeth while sleeping. This action creates high pressing to your teeth and effects your gum by making your gum weaken and receded to the tooth base.
- Improperly putting tooth rectified equipment: To put tight or unfit rectified equipment to the patient’s teeth makes their gum weaken and receded to reveal more tooth body.
To cure by the motives should be as follows:
- By the wrong toothbrushing method: In the case of too strong toothbrushing, the dentists will recommend the new way how to brush your teeth properly. The patients should follow to prevent more damage.
- By the periodontitis: The dentists will start with dental scaling and tooth flossing in order to eliminate the limestone stain from your teeth. It will allow the gum tissues to attach the teeth again. If there are any gingivitis, the dentist will use the antibiotic to cure the gingivitis. The patients must follow the dentist’s instruction carefully and take care of their oral hygiene more than usual.
- By putting the unfit rectified equipment: If the tooth rectified patients have the gingival recession, the dentist will adjust the rectified equipment to be fit to the patients’ oral cavity. This adjustment will stop the worsening symptoms.
- In case of the severe gingival recession such as the gum tissues receded until seeing the clear root cannel. The dentists will recommend the operation to be an option for the patients. The dental operations regularly use such as:
- Bone repair: In case of the bone which support your teeth damaged by the gingival recession, bone and tissues repair is the safe method to prevent any damage to your teeth. The doctor will use the gum tissues which cultivated from the outer or the gum tissues together to cure and allow your body to gradually cure your bone and tissues. If this method achieves the goal as the doctor make, the gum tissues will grow and cover all your gum as much as the original is.
- Gum tissues transplant: This is an operation to transplant the soft tissues at the area where the tissues disappeared by the gingival recession. The doctor will take the tissues from the palate to sew and cover the area where the root come out. If the patient still has enough tissues around the teeth, the doctor will use such tissues instead, not using the tissues from the palate. This method may not bring back the perfect gum condition but will help the root that come out by the gingival recession to prevent from the infection or the inflammation.
Note: This article is for educational purposes only. We suggest you to consult with your doctors or your dentists for any dental problems or any further questions.
This information supported by Dentist Tanapote Ninmod, Club Smile Clinic.