Is the electric toothbrush better than the regular toothbrush?
The electric toothbrush is invented since 1930. There are the alternations and improvements but the main usage is a little bit changed. Up until 1990, the electric toothbrush popularity is coming back as the other option between the regular toothbrush. The question is whether the electric toothbrush is better than the regular toothbrush. Let’s compare between the pro and con of both toothbrushes.
The pro of regular toothbrush:
- To clean your teeth throughout with your own techniques. You can clean your oral cavity with the regular toothbrush in 2 minutes by your own senses or your personal techniques.
- The varieties of models: size of brush, model of handel, color to facilitate your desires.
- Comfortable to carry on.
- No need to use battery or electric charge.
- Inexpensive-The regular toothbrush costs between Baht 20-300. The electric toothbrush costs between Baht 500-10,000.
The con of regular toothbrush:
- Do not know when brushing is completed. The proper tooth brushing should be 2 minutes. The regular toothbrush has no timer. Sometime you have to use your own sense to determine how long to brush your teeth.
- It is your daily duty. You have to work in order to complete your tooth brushing without any excuses.
- You may brush not throughly. The oversized brush may not brush your teeth throughly because it can not reach certain areas in your mouth.
The pro of electric toothbrush:
- Easy to use. The electric toothbrush brush our teeth automatically by just holding the toothbrush at 45 degrees.
- Less workforce but more effective. Many researches and articles state that the electric toothbrush can delete the limestone stain and prevent the gingivitis better than the regular toothbrush.
- More fun for children. If your children do not like to brush their teeth or do not want to brush, the electric toothbrush may be another option which the kid will enjoy.
- There is a timer. The electric toothbrush has the automatic timer. There is no need to guess when you have to stop.
The con of the electric toothbrush:
- Must charge by electric or use battery. You must charge your electric toothbrush or change its battery.
- More expensive than the regular toothbrush. The electric toothbrush cost higher than the electric toothbrush. The more efficiency you want, the more you have to pay.
- Uncomfortable to carry on. If you travel a lot, the electric toothbrush may be not convenient as the regular toothbrush. You have to carry both your toothbrush and the charger with you all the time.
- May damage if it is falling down.
- However,the effectiveness to delete the microorganisms on the enamel is not different depend on the your skill.
Note: This article is for educational purposes only. We suggest you to consult with your doctors or your dentists for any dental problems or any further questions.
This information supported by Dentist Tanapote Ninmod, Club Smile Clinic.